The VNW Very Narrow Web transducer combines the robustness of DFE's Model C transducer with the choice of mounting styles and wheel options from the cantilevered RFA load cell design. The VNW's maximum 400 lb load rating extends it's capability beyond the RFA's limit of 150 lbs, allowing for higher tension applications such as steel belt and tire cord.
A VNW transducer is cantilever-mounted on process machinery for unwind, payoff, rewind, take-up, or intermediate zone applications. Tension is measured by high-output semiconductor strain gauges housed internally on a dual cantilevered transducer beam and connected in a wheatstone bridge configuration. As the ribbon or filament passes over the rotating transport wheel, the force of the substrate on the wheel shaft causes a minute deflection of the transducer beam. The resulting change in strain gauge resistance yields a voltage output from the transducer that is proportional to tension. The transducer output is then amplified by a DFE indicator or automatic tension controller for tension measurement or complete closed-loop tension control.
The VNW transducer's standard configuration incorporates an aluminum beam with a stainless steel housing and shaft holder. The five mounting styles offered are: Screw, Flange, Pillow-Block, Piloted-Flange and Through-Frame.
Wheels are shaft-mounted with the shaft inserted into the transducer's bore and secured by set screws. The shaft insertion depth can be adjusted (+/- 0.25 inch) for proper alignment of the wheel with the web or filament. The standard electrical connector is positioned at 6 o'clock (inline with force) but other positions can be specified relative to the force direction.
For the measurement of web widths wider than 4", see the Narrow Web Transducer.
• 5 year tension-free warranty
• Highly accurate and reliable semiconductor strain gauge technology
• Versatile and easy-to-install
• Wheel face lengths to 4" maximum
• High performance design and materials for long life
• Load Ratings from 10 – 400 lbs (45 – 1,800N) with wide operating range
• Special wheels are available
• Accurate tension measurement of any narrow web, ribbon or filament
• Improved product quality and consistency from any web or filament process
• Reduced material waste
• Higher production with less downtime